Thursday, April 29, 2010

There is rest for the weary...

...and that rest lies solely in the Lord and not in this world. We have been asked many times why we chose to adopt. Here is a short version of our story.

Rob and I had come to a point in our lives that we felt that we had become self absorbed in ourselves. We both felt that the Lord was calling us to get out of our comfort zone, put our selfish wants aside and follow Him. By following Him, we felt His call for our family was to adopt an orphan. We started out seeking a 3 yr old child, one that was not a "special needs" child. I will never forget my first meeting with our social worker. She asked me if we had considered a "Waiting Child" (aka: special needs child). I suddenly felt a sick feeling in my stomach. My quick response was, "oh no". We had decided on a child up to 3 yrs old, boy or girl. However, as time went by, that question posed to me never escaped my thoughts. A seed had been planted. Periodically, I would mention it to Rob and he, too, was reluctant. About a year after our first meeting with our social worker, Rob approached me about seriously praying about accepting a special needs child into our family. We also spoke to the boys and asked them to pray. Over the next couple of months, we felt led to fill out the "Waiting Child" application. We submitted our application in late August and immediately began receiving lists of children on the "waiting list". During the next 3 weeks, Rob once again approached me asking me to prayerfully consider adopting an older child. I again was resistant, however, within days, the Lord changed my heart. He opened my eyes to look at the older children on the list that we were supplied with periodically. Within this 3 week period, Zhen Zhen appeared on the list. She had just been added to the list, however, we have since found out that she was on another adoption agency's individual list for 3 years prior. We can't help but ask why she had not been adopted within these 3 years. We then stop and fully rest knowing that this is the child the Lord has chosen for our family and His timing is perfect!

I will be honest and tell you that the past 4-5 days have been extremely difficult. Zhen Zhen misses her homeland and her mama terribly. At this time, her comfort is found in Rob or the boys. Many tried to prepare me for this rejection, however, one never realizes how this will play out until it's staring them straight in the face. I have seen such sweet moments with Rob. She loves to pray with Rob and will offer a hearty Amen at the end. Just last night, before we ate, she folded her hands and looked at Rob and said "Amen". This is her way of saying, come on dad, we need to pray before we eat. I continually have to remember that this is not about me, but her and the fulfillment of the Lord's calling in our lives.

I do want to let you all know that I have appreciated the encouraging emails, text messages, and phone calls. I look around and see how the devil is trying to tear down our families. I am thankful that our Lord has dominion over all.

One more thing, special needs, really??? We all have special needs, however, our one and only need is for a Saviour! May the the Lord continue to bless us and guide us while here on this Earth to care for those in need and to share His truths with all those around us.

Much Love,
Detra

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

6 comments:

The.Ferlands said...

Detra,
What a beautiful message and one that goes straight to the heart. You're my hero! Thanks for sharing your personal story...ours are so similar. You all continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.
Kim Ferland

Robyn said...

Detra,
Thanks for your honesty, now we know how to pray more specifically, and please know we are praying!!
Isn't it reassuring be able to fall back into God's arms and praise Him for the ups and downs?
You are a beautiful family of six.

Much love,
Robyn Rowenhorst

Robyn said...

I was laying in bed last night, praying for your family, and all of a sudden it hit me-- I think I wrote family of six! What was I thinking?! It must be the jet lag!!
You are a beautiful family of five!

Robyn

Unknown said...

Detra,
We will continue to pray for God's peace & rest for you during this transition. And for Zhen Zhen's anxiety to subside & for her to feel peace in her new home.
J

redkitchen said...

Beautiful post. God has always had a plan for your Zhen Zhen and the rest of your family. In time her heart will be knit closely with yours. Keep praying and keep loving. May God bless your family!

Leslie Wilson said...

Detra,

Whether you know it or not, God is using your journey--including the pain and challenges--to encourage and motivate and inspire others. Myself included.

So, yes, as you say, He sees. He knows your sorrow--for yourself, for Zhen Zhen. He is working. Thank you for being so honest.

Love you!
Leslie