Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Another Fun Day in Tianjin











Let me start out by saying, we are nowhere near the earthquake, praise God! We experienced another cool day here in Tianjin, however, the sun was shining! Grace took us to a street where traditional Chinese items were sold (a historical district here in Tianjin), and the honeymoon appears to be over as we were witness to a typical 6 yr old little girl. There were toys and gadgets everywhere, and she frequently heard, "no", which was not particularly pleasing to our sweet little China doll who's quickly becoming Americanized (playing on the i-touch as I finish up this blog). We're glad that we're seeing this behavior. It's a sign that she is feeling comfortable with us, however, also beginning to check her boundaries. She's a fireball! When she's not mad at us, she laughs like a giggle box. I'm sure we'll be getting notes home from her teachers. One of the directors at the orphanage told us that they were losing one of their star performers, having always had a lead part in the plays. When she's not laughing, it's not uncommon to hear her singing a little tune. She also has good taste in music. She loves to listen to "The Afters" on Peter's i-touch.
We experienced more really good food today. Grace has taken us to some of the best places to eat since being here in Tianjin - actually since we've been in China altogether. Some people say they lose weight when they come to China - not this family. Grace told me today that she could see me living in China. We are so blessed to have Grace as our guide - she's grown very close to our hearts. Zhen Zhen calls her "Auntie", and it's going to be very hard to leave her. Grace has no faith, and her grandparents and mother are Buddhists. We have been making comments here in there and then today, we had a discussion about Christianity. We will be praying for her, for she's been a tremendous blessing to us. We hope that she will visit us in the USA, and that the Lord will draw her close to him.
We're hoping for a good night's sleep, for Grace has another full day planned for us tomorrow!!
So good to hear from you via comments!
Love,
Detra
















18 comments:

Angie said...

Glad you are no where near the quake. I'm really enjoying reading all about you, your family and especially Lydia! Praying for you all and Grace. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful story with us.
Angie E.

JoAnna said...

I just showed the kids your photos and we are all so excited to meet Lydia! She looks so cute and it sounds like she'll fit in nicely with your quiet family! ha We are praying for your safe travels and especially for more bonding with each other.
JoAnna

Joan said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
I am releaved to hear you all were not in the quake zone!
May God bring Mercy, Grace and Peace to all of you and each life you touch!!
Much Love,
Joan

Sam said...

Hey guys! Cindy and I are in an Oracle class in Houston but we are reading the blog. Cindy knows all the places you are visiting and is translating the street signs, etc. for me. We are really exicited to hear and see everything going on. We cannot wait to meet Lydia! Hug everyone for Aunt Sam and let me know if you need something from Cindy. She is more than willing to help with anything. Cindy says we can even call if you need as she has a special calling cared. Have fun and see you when you get home.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimberly Perez said...

As I am sitting here reading your blog... I am cying tears of joy over God's blessings that you guys are experiencing !!!
We are so glad to hear that you are not near the earthquake!!
I LOVE the pictures, especially the ones with the boys, Peter and Lydia sleeping and of course wearing the "Hawk" shirt. (a piece of home) What wonderful big brothers they are going to be!! Words from Mckenna--- get use to sharing Ipod/Iphone.. you'll have games on there YOU never download!!
Thanks for sharing your experience with us!!
Love and prayers from the Perez'

Deb said...

The first thing I did this morning, when I heard about the earthquake, was to check the computer to see if you were near it. We are so grateful that is not the case. I love the way you described Lydia as a "fireball." I think we are all going to have a great time getting to know her. We love following the blog. The pictures are great! Lydia is so expressive and full of life. I love seeing Samuel and Peter in their role as big brothers.

Love, Deb

Sandy said...

So glad you are all safe and looks like your having a wonderful time.
Love the pics.... We are praying for you all daily at are meetings and cant wait till your safe return.
Its amazing what the Lord can do expecially with families like yours that are so loving.
The Scheele's are very blessed.
love you all
sandy

Lisa said...

Looks like you are having an educational trip! I've been following along too. I'm praying for your safety & strength in the Lord through this process. Lydia is beautiful & oh so tiny by the boys. I think Ralph needs some more squid! Lol!
God is always with you,
Lisa

Unknown said...

Hi Scheeles!
We've enjoyed your pictures and stories and were also glad to read that you're not near the quake. Praying for all of you!
Love,
Doug and Becki

Unknown said...

It has been simply amazing to read about your new family. I am so proud of Samuel and Peter and seeing their pictures with Lydia made me cry. They are such wonderful young men and will be outstanding big brothers. I hope you and Rob are still holding up ok, I am sure you are exhausted. we are praying for you every night and can not wait until you come home!

All my love,
Jen

Michelle said...

The blessing goes both directions. Can't wait to meet the latest Scheele.

Rob can change his name to "Mikey" since he is the bravest one to try the chinese gourmet dishes.

Praying for each on you,

Michelle

Susan said...

So glad you are all safe. I was on the computer trying to see how close you were to the earthquake! I cry tears of happiness every morning when i read your blog. Lydia is so beautiful and it sounds like she is very smart and full of life. She will be an exciting addition to your family! I'm praying for your safe return and can't wait to meet her.
Love,
Susan

Lillie B said...

Fireball!!!!
Yes!!!
Lillie is excited her new friend likes pink and the boys think she is so cute!
We think of you guys hourly.
Wade, Lisa, Gill, T Walker, and Lillie B

Unknown said...

I am absolutely loving reading your posts. I have laughed out loud and have cried. Lydia's smile must be contagious. She is adorable. The pictures are great. Mason is loving seeing the boys in the pictures with Lydia and had predicted their smiles to be just as they are. I know you are so proud of your boys as you should be. They are going to be awesome big brothers to Lydia. She will soon (if not already) figure out that she is one lucky little girl. Keep believing that what you are doing for her is best and you know that God is in control. I hope you have been able to get some good rest and make up for some lost sleep. Keep the posts coming if you are able. It helps us know how to pray more specifically, and it's so fun reading and seeing the pictures. Reassure the boys that they are not missing anything exciting around here and to just enjoy their time in China. Much love to you all!!!

Unknown said...

I forgot to sign my comment, but it's me, Kim.....and not the rhhs class of 2009. I am sure you figured out it was me since I mentioned Mason's name, but just wanted to clarify. When you get home you have got to show me how to change my identity on this thing. Haha! Love you!

Karen said...

Hi DeeDee,

Ok, I woke Roger up this morning asking him if you guys were anywhere close to the earthquake. He said you weren't. Thank goodness. You know, of course, I can't read your posts without crying . . . .love the pictures of Peter and Samuel with Lydia. They are just as I knew they would be . . . awesome big brothers. I may have to make a trip to Dallas before June so I can meet Lydia, maybe Ains and I will go! So glad you are posting daily, its fun and heart-warming to be on this journey with you all. Hugs to everyone and much love.

Karen

Ryan Tompkins said...

Catching up a bit. The pics are amazing.